Thursday, March 8, 2018

Farewell to Fassett February

February was a funny month for me which I can best describe as I was in a mood for not staying on task and felt kind of bad that in less than two months into 2018, I wanted to throw my project lists, which I spent a lot of time planning, aside. After all this was my year for Making it Easy and I was feeling pressure from my project lists so there's no better way to relax is to sew something you want to sew and that's what I did with my Kaffe appliqué quilt.  I finally started working on this quilt, after six years of fermentation which the blocks and leaves were ready for appliqué, when we were vacationing in Texas at the end of January.  I appliquéd 36 blocks in around a week which is doable when you unexpectedly don't have access to WiFi. Once I was back home, I sewed the alternate blocks which I am happy to say I had the fabrics in my stash to make them and once I was ready to assemble the blocks into a quilt, I was pleasantly annoyed that I needed to appliqué four more blocks in order to use the same setting as its fraternal twin quilt.
There are a few quilts patterns which I have made several times and an appliqué quilt pattern would not be one I would want duplicate unless maybe I thought it would be a fun road project.  When the Darlene Zimmerman Going Green pattern was first published by American Patchwork and Quilting in February, 201l, I was inspired to make two versions of this quilt; one with Feedsack fabrics and one with Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  I finish the Feedsack quilt top in 2013 and finally finished it in 2015 as part of Country Threads' UFO Challenge and I was in no hurry to work on the Fassett version even though the pieces were ready.
Although I'm participating in Tish's Adventure in Wonderland's UFO addition this year, my Kaffe quilt did not make the list so finishing the top was an unexpected surprise and what would even be more totally unexpected is if I finally finished it this year so it can join the Feedsack quilt. I'm already planning on ordering the coconut buttons so there's a good chance, especially if I get into one of those moods again. 
BTW, Feedsack and Fassett fabrics are some of my first fabric crushes and I have even used them together as you see from the quilt above.  You can read about this combination in my last week's Throwback Thursday post, Feedsack and Fassett Fabrics Go Together, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, here.

I don't know if March is going to be any better for me to get back on task seeing that I have taxes to prepare, yuck, annual doctor and dentist appointments, big yuck here, and a very big and happy deterrent, Micah, my very precious granddaughter will be celebrating her first birthday at the end of the month.  This means if any quilt is going to be finished, it's going to be hers and it has to have bees because she is the Micah Bee.

18 comments :

  1. March looks to be very busy for you. I love this Keffe quilt too. They are just perfect.
    Hope you get done what you’d like this month - sounds like a lot of important tasks that may be s but distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lists are great but I say toss them aside if they're putting too much pressure on you! Both of your Going Green quilts are stunning, they just look so intricate, but the blue one is my favorite. I hope you enjoy March despite the craziness, and that you enjoy your granddaughter's 1st birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleasantly annoyed--I love it. There must be a word for that in German or something. Beautiful quilts! (And happy birthday to Micah!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think you handled February quite well, honestly. It's probably good that we don't live close, as I would've distracted you even more while I was distracting myself. I really didn't accomplish much in February as far as UFOs either. I'm still not accomplishing them. Haha. Too many QALs to get caught up on! Love your quilt, though. That green is luscious! Happy Happy Birthday to little Micah Bee! Can't wait to see her quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose you nailed February! I know what you mean no wifi means other things magically happen. When did we get so dependent? Hope Micah has a very Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sure do get a lot done when there is no wifi. Happy birthday to Micah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rose,
    Oh, what a great finish! And to have made two - well, that is beyond fabulous in my book. I had to giggle at you being pleasantly annoyed - that seems like a bit of an oxymoron but it fits! Kudos to you! I can hardly wait to see what you make for Micah! One already - doesn't that time just slip by so quickly. It has to be time soon for the princess quilt . . . just saying. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts are beautiful, so colourful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great that you tossed aside your plans to make work on what really called you! And I love your Kaffe quilts, especially the bold background colors. It's supposed to be fun, and you sure make it look like you're enjoying yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Glad you found a way to have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your design choices are inspired! No wonder the blue Kaffe quilt was calling you. And the Fassett and Feedsack is wonderful. Kaffe often doesn’t mix well with other lines, but you have pulled it off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay....you messed with my mind there...I could swear I'd read a post so similar to this one, and when I saw Feedsacks and Fassett I just KNEW...then there were the several posts I've commented on using my iPhone and apparently those comments went into the ether... So I now figured out you wrote about Feedsacks and Fassett in TBT! Phew, I'm not totally losing all my menopausal marbles, just a bunch of them...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's hard to pick a favourite from these three quilts, Rose? Each is lovely and appealing in their own way! In my life right now, spending time with my grandson Eli takes priority too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Rose, rules are meant to be broken and lists make terrific airplanes. Enjoy the birthday, have an extra piece of cake for me. And as far celebrating is concerned, your quilts are a celebration of color. You are a bee too. Buzzing Busy Bee. Coconut buttons? Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a lovely read. I love your twin quilts and the story behind why and how they got done. I think I favor the darker blue one. Isn't it wonderful when you get more done than you think you will? That happened to me on my weekend road trip when I took along hand work. It is always a good idea to have hand work available for those times when I can't use a machine.

    Deana from http://dreamworthyquilts.blogspot.com
    The google account I am currently using would not otherwise identify who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your Kaffe quilt (and its twin). His fabrics are something I only look at longingly. Just cannot afford them. I also like your choice of background fabric. One of these days I'm going to make a quilt with a color other than white for background.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Came here from My Quilt Infatuation to say I love your pair of appliqué quilts (and now I'm impressed by your productivity!).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fassett and Feed sacks, I wouldn't have thought to pair the two, but I LOVE it, I'm glad you did. 36 applique blocks in a week, I bow to you, I probably couldn't do 36 in a year :) It's time to get in buzz mode! Miss Micah has to have a birthday bee quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.