Friday, November 3, 2017

The Primitiva Quilt/Another Quilt Crosses the Finally Finished Line

One of my first posts when I started my blog last year was my disappointment that the Primitiva Quilt which I made in 2015 was still a top after more than a year and wasn't ready for Fall.  It was on my 2017 project list to finally quilt and come October it still was a top and it was bugging me that another Fall would go by with Primitiva still waiting to become a quilt.

I was going to be focused this week by working on projects as planned:
I basted and started hand quilting the Smitten Top
I sewed over fifty blocks for the Splash of Color QAL which Myra from Busy Hands Quilts is hosting(you can read about it here).
And on Wednesday afternoon, before I started quilting the six baby quilts for the Blanket Ministry, I decided to cut the binding I needed and pulled out my die-cutter and the 2.5" strip die.
After that was done, I thought I would cut some more binding while the equipment was out and went to the drawer where I keep fabric set aside for binding and saw the Primitiva fabric. And that's when my best laid plans fell on the wayside because after I was done die-cutting those strips, I was suddenly in the mood to machine quilt the top.  So the backing was sewn, the pin basting quickly done and the decision to quilt organic squiggly (inspired by one of the prints) lines with orange thread came pretty easy  which normally doesn't happen especially when I'm in impromptu mode.
One of the reasons why it took me several years to finally finish this quilt was trying to decide if I should just back it with Minky and call it a Patchwork Coverlet. I'm glad I chose to quilt it instead because the back looks and feels so lush and besides that, what else could I have done with the four yards of backing fabric I already had.  As of right now, I can't seem to locate the rest of the Primitiva fabrics, it's not where I thought I would have put it.
Here are the stats:

Size:        56" x 72"

Blocks:    4" (finished) four patches with 4" x 8" rectangle blocks

Fabric:     Primitiva by Jane Dixon for Andover

Pattern Source:  I'm pretty sure I was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest.

Primitiva is now adorning my dining room table now and am glad that I'll get to enjoy it for at least three weeks before the Winter/Christmas quilts come out.  Hopefully, once I finish quilting the baby quilts, one down with five more to go, my good machine quilting vibes will come back because I still have six more tops on my project list. I should visit my binding drawer again.
An interesting note:  The Primitiva fabric was purchased around the same time I bought Matisse (you can read about it here) by Alexander Henry and Hot Flash (you can read about it here) by Louella Doss (around 2010-11) and you can see similarities with the bright colors and the fun prints.  Also, the three quilts I made from these three fabric lines were all finally finished during 2017 which is a pretty big quilting feat for me.  I love it when I can cross off a quilt, make that three quilts, off my project list.

I won't be posting an updated total for my Minus One Hundred Yard Challenge until I finish the baby quilts for the Blanket Ministry but I can say I've reached my goal; however it's only for a short while because I'm going out today with my Quilt Peep, Carol, to see the Kaffe Fassett Trunk Show at our local quilt shop where I also happen to have a gift certificate.  I'm pretty certain there is going to be some fabric purchases.

30 comments :

  1. I just love the orange quilting you chose to use. You're making good progress on your Splash of Color blocks. And congrats on getting an old project finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I really like the orange quilting too. The Splash blocks are ready to go up on the design board and that's going to be another story.

      Delete
  2. Smitten looks beautiful, I love Jen Kingwell designs. You have been very busy this week, congrats on finishing Primitiva, it must be so satisfying to put it to bed and good luck with the others. By the way I managed to get a seam roller after you recommended them, one thing it's excellent for is marking a centre, much more effective than finger pressing which comes out too soon, or maybe my fingers are not strong enough :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I have a love/hate relationship with Jen Kingwell designs but always seem to pick one of her patterns when I decide to do something challenging. I'm glad you're finding the brayer useful. Hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  3. Rose I love seeing your prolific creativity. You provide me constant inspiration. Now I just need to get some of my many quilt tops quilted and used some day.

    The Primitiva quilt favors Bonnie Hunter's Bricks & Stepping Stone quilt. Keeping creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words; I appreciate them. BTW, you are right about the pattern favoring the Bricks & Stepping Stone Pattern. I couldn't think of what inspired me to make this quilt and what's really funny is that I finished another quilt, Brackman Bars, just this year and didn't think about it when I wrote this post.

      Delete
  4. Who knew there was such inspiration in a binding drawer! It's a beautiful quilt, and the quilting is perfect for it. Your Splash of Color blocks will be amazing pieced together! I see Amanda Jean's fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra! I love the Amanda Jean's fabrics with the black and white and sort of sad I starting to use up some of the prints in my stash. Sadly, it's no longer available from Connecting Threads.

      Delete
  5. Yeah for you in getting your UFO finished up, I just know you feel wonderful about it too-and you should! It's a very cozy looking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. The quilt is laying on the dining room table and I'm glad I finally finished it. Wished I did it sooner because I really enjoy looking and touching it when I walk by it.

      Delete
  6. Rose, you are on a roll!! Keep going :) I think I love the backing fabric just as much as I love the top. Honestly, I don't think you can ever go wrong with wavy lines. They are so easy to stitch and look good on everything. And I am smitten with your Smitten Quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tish. I was really amazed how fast the quilting went with the organic lines and yes it does look good. I'm slowly hand stitching Smitten and am enjoying looking at the blocks.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations for getting those UFOs done! Doesn't that feel great? I love that orange thread you used to quilt the Primitiva quilt, it's daring but works so well! Really cements the feeling of autumn. As for the trunk show ... are you going to be at Quilter's Destination? I vaguely remember something about a Kaffe trunk show there. I hope you'll post pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I do feel great and glad the quilting went well on the Primitiva quilt and am enjoying it, even if it's for a short time. Yes I was at Quilter's Destination and was only there once when it was a smaller store. I loved it and plan on returning there again; it has a great selection of fabrics. Good thing it takes 40 minutes to drive there, otherwise I would be there every week. I bought 14.5 yards--yikes!

      Delete
  8. Rose, you're making my head spin! Wonderful progress (and finishes), all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on another great finish Rose! I think finishing three quilts from your WIPs list is cause for celebration. And what better way to celebrate than to buy more fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz! I do like finishing and celebrating with new fabrics. I gotten a little tipsy and bought 14.5 yards; hopefully I won't be buying anymore until next year.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't remove this comment. Need to check it out!

      Delete
    2. This was Jan's comment which was inadvertently deleted by someone, could be me, after all, I'm the Problem Sister:Rose I love the orange thread! It looks great, love that backing. "Glad you didn't do the minky. Wow 3 pre 2017, really pre 2017, tops done this year!! Yeah for you. As far as your Minus 100 Yard Challenge, I don't think any additions from today should count. That is a gift certificate, so you aren't really buying the fabric."

      Delete
    3. Hey Jan, I don't know why your comment was deleted but I loved it. If we ever do a quilt crime together and get caught, I know you'll get us out of it. I like the way you think about my 14.5 yards purchase some of which came from the gift certificate but sadly I have to count all of it since it was given to me in lieu of a cash refund from the store. But I do like your way of thinking.

      Delete
  11. Oh, I like the Primivita quilt! So pretty, and the orange thread with those organic lines is just great! You have had a really productive week! Way to go, Problem Sister -- no problems for you this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I like a productive way with no problems even though trouble seems to follow me in the studio.

      Delete
  12. Rose, it's gorgeous! I'm so glad it kept calling your name so that you could listen to it and finish it up! I wasn't following you back when you made this top, so it's a new lovely surprise to see it today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. Your comment about the quilt calling me really cracked me up because I wanted to write in the post that I felt just that but didn't want to sound crazy. Really, sometimes when I open up the binding drawer, those strips and fabrics are saying "pick me!".

      Delete
  13. Congrats on finishing that Primavita quilt!!! Love the backing. Love your quilting!!! And I love your splash of color blocks. A Kaffe trunk show + GC?!!! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. It was a fun week and it was nice to top it off with a visit to a quilt shop I haven't visited in a long time. Needless to say I was a kid in the candy shop.

      Delete
  14. Wow, you certainly are on a roll of quilting! Doesn't it feel awesome to have quilts for the seasons? This Primitiva quilt, and yup, I see the similarities between your Matisse (my favourite) and Hot Flash, is just fabulous. LOVE it in the tree ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. I am realizing once I know I have a purpose for a quilt, then I want to finish it just like Free Fall--I had a place to hang it. I'm glad the trio are finished and I still love the fabrics.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.